Varkala, a quiet suburban coastal town, unlike Goa beaches, situated in the outskirts of Trivandrum, is the most opted tourist and romantic travel destination spot in South Kerala. Varkala beach is quite a unique beach holiday destination when compared with Goa , Maldives, Mauritius and Bali; which is characterized by an array of cliffs adjacent to Sea, which is recognized as varkala formation by Geological survey of India and huge backwater stretch flows into the Arabian sea at estuaries. The serene and white beaches equipped with a widespread sand carpet and fresh water spouts or the houseboat cruise through the backwater will set the mood warm for a rejuvenating holiday experience - made this destination, among the best beaches of India and are awarded by millions of world travelers. The coastal township is also famous for many religious customs deeply rooted with Kerala’s cultural heritage is also the tripAdvisors choice, with a 2000year old Vishnu temple on the south cliff. For family beach vacation and honeymooners - a houseboat cruise along backwater, fabulous warm water swim, a walk by the shore with the gentle waves caressing your feet or the splendid sight of sunset on the sea horizon from atop a cliff over hanging the sea will be idle or most perfect . Varkala, as a tripAdvisor, gives you everything in a platter from beach, backwater, estuary, forts, palaces etc. To add cream to the topping are the water adventure sports facilities like Para jumping, board surfing, sailing and kayaking, cycling through the long coastal cycling zone.
Like Goan beaches of, Anjuna, Baga Calangute ,Candolim and that of Kovalam beach in Kerala, Varkala also houses many attractive sites such as 1.Papanasam beach 2. Eve’sbeach 3.Thiruvambadi beach 4.black beach 5. Kapil beach 6. Fishermen village 7.Kapil backwater 8.Kapil estuary. With “Papanasam beach” It is believed that by taking a dip in the sea after offering rituals in the name of deceased ancestors, one is relieved of all his sins in the past. . It has been a favorite travel and business travel spot for many then and it continues now also.
The other striking and not to be left out attractions at varkala are:-
- Sivagiri mutt- which is a well-established pilgrim center of Kerala, with historical and cultural values is a must see place while visiting varkala beach.
- Anchuthengu Fort - is a reminder of British era in India. This fort gives a marvelous view of the beach, the backwater stretch and a wonderful estuary as well.
- Kappil lake- that offers an enchanting voyage enjoying the natural legacy of Varkala backwater which elongates straight to an estuary (at Kappil beach)which connects the lake with Arabian sea.
- Ponmudi – is the nearest hill station and tea garden from varkala on the mighty Western Ghats. The Western Ghats houses to many endangered species which is also epic center and perfect example of a bio-diversity sensitive area - recognized by the UN.
- Kottarakara Thampuran museum – the man who founded world renowned art form called Kathakali - the mascot of Kerala tourism and the dedicated museum for this legend is situated at Kottarakara, is half an hour drive from varkala beach. Hence site falls under the must see list for all those who admire this wonderful art form.
- The Raja Ravi Varma – another legend from world of painting is born and bought up just 18 kms west to varkala beach. A portion of his palace is converted to a dedicated museum with his paintings and articles used by his highness’.
- Houseboat cruise – backwater cruising has become a must do thing in the itinerary of Kerala travel. It is associated with Kerala tour packages provided by all travel agents and trip advisors from India. Varkala has a very vast backwater, connecting two southern districts of kollam and Trivandrum. These waterways played a major role in the erstwhile Travancore history and falls in the national waterways connecting Trivandrum and Varkala.
- Festivals – Local temples celebrates the annual ritual pooram festivals during the regular varkala tourism season. Ornately decorated elephants are paraded in the procession taken out of the temple precincts. Kollam pooram,Janardhanaswamy temple, Paripally Gajamela is the major few.
- Sea food - . Wholesome sea food (matchless) - should try fish basket on the cliff top restaurants enjoying the scenic view of the beach as well as the sunset in evenings will be a varied experience.
Apart from these Varkala also has a strong industrial background which is mostly focused on cashew nut and coir processing that practice a mix and merge method of primitive and modern techniques along with the ecstasy of group work and cooperation that is an inborn feature of an Indian.
Varkala offers a valuable travelogue through the real flavors of Kerala’s pure culture, customs, lifestyle, beauty and tastes.Accomodations are available from home stays to 4* classified hotels and resorts for the visitors at reasonable rates. Hence destination varkala proves to be the true travel cross section of Kerala.